9.07.2009

Locks of Love

It was all Abby's idea. At the beginning of summer she decided she wanted to cut her hair really short. I told her she had to at least wait until after we did her baptism portraits in June. She agreed, and then we sort of forgot about it in the busy-ness of summer. After watching the movie 'The Ultimate Gift' while on vacation in August, she remembered that she wanted to cut it and decided she wanted to donate her hair to the organization Locks of Love, which takes hair and makes wigs for children who have lost their hair for medical reasons (cancer, burns, etc). I was so proud of her decision and the appointment was made.
Look at that gorgeous hair! 
Someone is going to be very lucky!
We divided her hair into pig tails and carefully measured it to exactly 10 inches... 
we didn't have much to spare.
Pig Tail #1... she was a little nervous now and looked a bit shocked when she realized how much was really gone. Too late now!
Pig Tail #2... gone!
Ta Da!!
I think she looks absolutely adorable and get tears in my eyes when I think about her generosity and willingness to sacrifice for someone else. She has gotten a lot of compliments and loves to tell people why she did it. What an example to us all. She is already looking forward to growing it back out and donating again in a couple years. 

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

She should have gone shorter so she could be like her aunt Aubrey! Haha She looks cute anyways. AND she's cute for cause!

Sarah Shelley said...

I love it! She looks wonderful! I can't believe how grown up and mature she is.

Ashley Serena said...

She has gorgeous hair! What a wonderful girl she is.

DramaMomma said...

She's such a pretty girl, inside and out!

Amy said...

Noticed her hair on Sunday. So cute on her!

Karen Webb said...

Wow! I haven't seen it yet. She looks so gorgeous! I wish I could grow my hair out for locks of love. What a huge thing for a little girl to do!

Carrick family said...

Wow! I didn't noticed her hair short now! She looks really cute!! I love short hair on little girls!